The Wolfsonian-Florida International University, received a US Department of Education, Arts in Education, Model Development and Dissemination Grant Program to develop a pilot program for utilizing art as a tool to teach in core content areas in K-12 education. The result was Artful Citizenship: A Passport to Learning, an arts-integrated social studies curriculum project designed to provide third- through fifth- grade students and teachers with the tools necessary to:
• develop visual literacy skills;
• implement social science content across academic content areas;
• create opportunities for integrated artistic response.
Artful Citizenship: A Passport to Learning(2002-2005).The Wolfsonian-FIU, Miami Beach, FL.
* Managed the study that the US Dept of Ed required as part of the development of the project. The research project included longitudinal research on the academic achievement benefits of using art to build visual literacy and critical thinking skills, as well as formative assessment of the curriculum.
* Supported the development a curriculum that offers object-based learning teaching strategies, examples of curriculum materials, an arts infused pedagogical approaches to teaching twenty-first century skills.